Tips for Installation
Before installing room air conditioners, check your home wiring for the right circuit amperage and voltage. Avoid lines already loaded with appliances. Do not connect a 208-V unit to a 115-V line or a 115-V unit to higher lines. If a fuse blows, shut off the unit and check load and wiring. Be sure the outlet is properly grounded. Never remove the grounding prong from the plug. Install the unit in a shaded window, if possible. Keep warm air out by weather stripping doors and windows and keeping them tightly closed. Close fireplace dampers and seal openings to the attic or other uncooled areas. Seek professional advice on recommended ceiling and wall insulation.
Tips for Energy Efficiency and Maintenance
- Turn off the unit and open doors and windows during cooler periods.
- Use the unit fan and portable fans to draw in cooler outside air and increase circulation.
- Although air conditioners also dehumidify, a dehumidifier in the basement can prevent excess moisture seepage through the house.
- Use a higher (warmer) thermostat setting during peak periods or when the area is unoccupied. A setting of 75 to 80 degrees will cut power consumption by 15 percent.
- Don’t let heat build up all day and then try to cool areas quickly by turning the controls to maximum settings. Start units earlier in the day and cool areas slowly before they are occupied.
- Avoid activities that generate high heat and humidity (i.e., cooking, bathing and laundering) during high heat hours.
- Draw the shade or window blinds to reduce solar and outdoor heat. Reflecting and double-pane glass, awnings, overhangs, louvered sunscreens, plantings, fences or adjoining buildings also help ─ but be sure not to block the back of the unit.
- Regularly change or clean filters, and check air flow for blockage and evaporator coil for frost.
- Use a vacuum cleaner attachment to clean accessible parts but be careful not to damage them.
- Have the unit checked and cleaned at the start of the season. During the off season, make certain it is cleaned and properly covered and disconnected.