Step away from the burger and fries! (If you want to that is) Here are our tips and tricks on how to order a healthy meal at any restaurant you go to because let’s face it…restaurants looooove butter and your heart might not.
- Start off with a soup or salad. Starting your meal with a healthy appetizer means you’ll eat less during the rest of your meal. Veggies are always great and if you go for soup, be sure to choose one with a clear broth as the thicker ones are usually packed with cheese.
- If a restaurant gives out bread, try to pass on it. We know it’s hard because well…it’s bread but it’s not the best thing to fill up on anyways.
- Be on the lookout for the word "crispy" as it’s usually a code for “fried in batter”.
- If you’re looking for keywords, look for “grilled”, “baked”, “broiled” or “roasted”. These cooking methods don't have a ton of added fat, so these dishes tend to be healthier.
- Look for lean cuts of meat. Strip steak, chicken breast, etc are better for your health. Skip on fatty pieces of meat like pork to avoid extra grease.
- Try sharing more. A lot of restaurants serve way too much food and sure, it’s good value for money in most cases but that value does not translate to your health. Try sharing a main dish after you’ve had your appetizer. You’ll get the right portion of food needed so you won’t feel stuffed and you’ll save money.
- Check, if you can, a restaurant’s menu beforehand. This way if you’re really feeling health conscious, you can decide what you're going to order and check out the nutritional value, leaving all that second guessing at home.